Home / World wide / Johnny Depp Would Turn Down $300M From Disney To Return For Pirates 6

Johnny Depp Would Turn Down $300M From Disney To Return For Pirates 6

Johnny Depp says he would turn down Disney if they offered him a role in Pirates of the Caribbean 6. Depps recent comments came from his cross examination during the defamation trial against ex wife Amber Heard. Depp is currently suing Heard for $50 million stemming from accusations the Aquaman actress made in a Washington Post op ed she penned in 2018. Though she never mentioned Depp by name Heard used her alleged experiences as an abuse victim to back the op ed. Depp claims Heards assertions destroyed his career reputation and life.

Depp rose to mega star status for his portrayal of Captain Jack Sparrow in Disneys 2003 blockbuster hit Pirates of the Caribbean The Curse of the Black Pearl. Beloved by fans the actor would go on to play the character in four additional films in the franchise. Although Depps character was well received by fans and critics Disney made the decision to block his return to any future Pirates of the Caribbean projects including a long in development sixth film. Due to the allegations surrounding Depps personal life Disneys decision reportedly came from the fear his reputation may tarnish the family friendly nature of the franchise. Depp was also let go from Warner Bros. Fantastic Beasts franchise for a similar reason. While fans may be bummed by his absence from future Pirates of the Caribbean movies it seems the star may not have returned anyway.

Variety reports that Depp told the courtroom Wednesday that he would turn down the chance to return for Disneys Pirates of the Caribbean 6. Heards attorney Ben Rottenborn cross examined Depp on the stand and zeroed in on the actors claims that Heards op ed cost him the role. Rottenborn bluntly asked Depp if it was true that the actor did not want to return to the franchise anyway to which Depp replied that is true. View Rottenborn and Depps back and forth exchange during Wednesdays cross examination below During the cross examination Rottenborn attempted to show that Disney had already made the decision to block Depps return to the franchise before Heard wrote her op ed. The attorney noted a Daily Mail piece from October 25 2018 that mentioned Depp was out as Jack Sparrow. Depp responded by saying he wasnt aware of that in reference to the piece but it didnt surprise him considering Disney was trying to cut ties to be safe. However Depp also was quick to point that even after cutting ties with the actor Disney still featured his Pirates of the Caribbean character at their theme parks. Although Disney used Jack Sparrow for financial gain Depp said that Disney didnt want there to be something trailing behind Depp that theyd find.

While it seems Depp is now done with playing Captain Jack Sparrow in the Pirates franchise at one time he could have made a cameo in future projects. However given the tumultuous nature of his divorce to Heard his return will never happen. Disney would be hard pressed to bring Depp back for Pirates of the Caribbean 6 even for just a small role. He has no interest in returning and it might be better for him to move onto something new. Nevertheless in order for Depp to win his case against Heard he will have to show that Disneys decision came as a direct result of Heards original op ed which may be a challenge to prove.

About Ahmad Raza

Check Also

Alexandra Daddario (‘The White Lotus’) video interview Kevin Jacobsen

Alexandra Daddario The White Lotus on being surprised by fan reactions to Rachels final decision …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.